Saturday, February 11, 2012

February's Quilt


Ok, I know what you're thinking.  
That tree is going to be very difficult to make in fabric.  
You may be right, but I have a plan.
I intend on cutting the branches individually and hiding the ends under the trunk.  We'll see how it goes, you and me.  We'll travel this road together.  I'll let you know what my frustration/satisfaction ratio is at all times.

Other than that, I am very pleased with my composition.  The trouble with doing a landscape is that then you have to fill it up, right?  But not too much.  I had enough curlicues going on that I didn't want to litter the foreground with "things."  You know?  I'm striving for a balance between stuff and no/stuff.  And I'm planning on doing some fancy quilting in the no/stuff area, which will make it seem fuller.

I am a firm believer in not over-embellishing.  Too many quilt artists today hide the lack of a pleasing composition under layers of tulle and paint and photo transfer.  Muck, muck, muck.  But I have to be careful not to go too far in the other direction.  One donut shape in the middle of a plain expanse of fabric is also not really a pleasing composition.  

Unless that donut has sprinkles.

Time for lunch!

ps.  I just discovered how to make my pictures show up extra large.  Yay for me!


No comments: