Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Return from the Wilderness

I am sitting down to write this blog post after a weekend filled with running around and bustling and doing everything but that which I intended - namely, relaunching this blog.  I've had to run my daughter to and from rehearsal, we had a pipe break in the kitchen, (which consequently flooded the kitchen,) there's been church and church meetings and errands and on and on.  When do I think I'm going to find time to post, much less make art?

And the answer is that I'm going to find time wherever I can - 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there - to blog and make art because you all have shown me that it's important.

After the wonderful success and positive reaction I received from you when my sister posted my quilts to her flickr page, how could I tell myself making art would have to wait?

And so I am dusting off my sewing machine, shaking the cobwebs out of my brain and getting back to work.  And it's all your fault.

If it weren't for your kind words of encouragement, for your wanting my quilts so much that you would actually pay real money for them, if it weren't for the awesome experience of seeing perfect strangers posting my quilts to their various pages and sites, I would still be what I was before: and I can't really describe that person, because there aren't words.

I wasn't making art.

Which is to say that I wasn't fulfilling that which was given to me to do on this planet.  As I said to my sister, there are plenty of people who do most of the things I do: work in a store, take care of a family, etc, etc.  But there's no one else who can make the quilts I have inside of me.  They are unique to who I am and therefore, valuable.

Thank you for reminding me.  Really.

And so now I must decide:  finish the UFOs sitting around in my studio or work on something entirely new?  I don't know yet.  But when I find out, you will be the first to know.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Welcome back and I'm so happy you've decided to return!

I completely love your comment about there being plenty of people who can do what you do but no one else who can make the quilts bubbling inside.

Congratulations and all the best in your work!

Chris

Sharon T said...

I'm glad to have found your blog. Your quilts are amazing!